Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Week minus 0: The Final Countdown

Not much can be done now, just make sure I have everything packed tonight, and hope that the weather will be OK. But it doesn't look too good on that front at the moment! The forecast is:


Rain developing, heavy falls possible. Northerlies strengthening.

On the plus side, if it is northerlies it shouldn't be cold and if they are strengthening during the day that could help on the return legs of the bike.

This week I went for a couple of short swims (1km) at the start of the week and a nice dip in the hot tub afterwards. On Tuesday I took the bike in for a pre-race tune-up, though when I went to pick it up after work they didn't have it ready, someone mistakenly had it in for a Wednesday pick up - which meant I had to run home. And on that run home I was looking to cross the road and missed a hose laid across the footpath. I came right down on that hose and rolled my ankle. It was very painful at first and you can just imagine the thoughts going through my head. I limped across the road and tenderly tried to walk it off. And can certainly thank my resilient body, as I was running again in very short order. Phew!!

Went for an easy 1hr spin on the bike tonight before packing the car (there's a lot of stuff!) - no, not the mini, I have got a work car - and all that is left to do is drive down tomorrow morning and get prepared for Saturday. Am I nervous? At the moment, I don't think so - and that's got me a little nervous! Plenty of "what ifs" are running through my head though. The weather of course, but also things like "what if my nutrition plan goes wrong", "what if I get a puncture", "what if I go of course on the swim and find myself at Turangi" - really helpful stuff! And I keep on imaging (well, I hope I do) lots of little niggles in my joints and muscles. Of course, there isn't much I can do about any of that stuff, I just have to trust my training.

Thanks for all your well-wishes, and look forward to writing up the race report when I get back next week. Though, a warning for you all, the photos might be ugly!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

best of luck sammy, can't wait to keep track of your progress, all the best xxxx

Crazy Joe Davola said...

We drove through Taupo the other weekend and I saw what I thought looked like a powerboat race course across the bay...then I noticed some one swimming the back leg of it and it hit me what a chunky challenge you've set yourself this time. Get out there and nail it.

Anonymous said...

The photo's are ugly whether your doing the Ironman or not!

Good luck Small P

JT

Anonymous said...

Its not really a race, dont think of it as a race, its a journey, lets be honest - most people don't go that far for their holidays! Keep it steady, we're with you in spirit!
AP

Craig & Suz said...

Good Luck, we'll be following your progress