Friday, February 29, 2008

Ironman Eve

It's the day before and I have just checked in my bike and my transition bags. Nervous times, as if you get this wrong, I might have to head out on the run in my cycling shoes or half naked. But after triple checking everything, I should be right.

It is a beautiful day down here today. Unfortunately, it is not predicted to hold out. At the briefing this morning they told us that some drizzle is expected tomorrow morning, turning to rain in the afternoon, and possibly heavy in the evening. Local farmers are over the moon, visiting triathletes not so much. Why oh why couldn't it be today?!?

Nevertheless, the show must go on. Actually, my biggest concern is that ankle has flared up a little in the last 24 hours. Not too bad, but just feels a bit tender and swollen. I am sure it will be OK, but you can't help dwell on these things as you just wait around.

This morning I went for an easy 15min swim out on the lake. I'm looking forward to the swim now, after some trepidation with my lack of sea swims lately. But the lakes is beautifully clear, which will make a difference, and not having to put up with 'sea water mouth' is so much better. After that went on a 30min bike and a 15min run just to remind the body what it will be doing tomorrow. Nothing left to do now but have an early dinner and hopefully get some sleep tonight.

It's an early start tomorrow, with the alarm set for 4.45am. Will try to get down to the transition area around 5.30am, giving myself plenty of time to get ready and for any "oh shit, I left such-and-such behind"! And then it will be time to get in the water for a short warm up swim before lining up and waiting for the gun....

Thanks for all the messages, I'll try to do my best for you all tomorrow. I look forward to updating you all next week on my IronSam experience.

No comments: