Sunday, July 01, 2007

Pub Watch: Brugs Beertje (Brugge, Belgium)

Tim Webb's Belgium Good Beer Guide has this to say about Brugs Beertje:


The one and only, the original "Little Bruges Beer". You cannot call yourself a well-travelled beer lover until you have been here. This is the place that made us decide to create the Guide.

And it certainly lived up to such a reputation. So good, I had to go twice.

The inside is what you want from a bar, simple with interesting paraphernalia on the walls, a good noise level that just breaths conversation, and a beer list as long as your arm (well, if your arm has 250+ beers on it). And the service was superb - very friendly and it was hard to believe there was just to two of them as you never had to wait. With such a reputation, it was not surprising to have quite a few tourists there (we were ones ourselves I guess), but there was also a good sprinkling of locals (mostly up at the bar) to suggest it is still a genuine bar and not just a tourist trap.

All the beers were in superb condition, and of course this being Belgium, were served in the appropriate branded glass. On my two visits, I got through some fine beers: La Rulles Brune, De Dolle Extra Export Stout, Het Kapittel Watou Prior, De Ranke Guldenberg & Witkap Pater Singel. The pick for me being the Het Kapittel Watou Prior.

It seems the quintessential Belgian bar to me, and certainly one of the best bars I have ever had the pleasure of drinking in, and one I will have to revisit again.

3 comments:

Crazy Joe Davola said...

I was wondering whether the presence of the tops of Si (at least I think its Si) and Brad's melons in the photo were going to be mentioned in a humerous anecdotal comment like - the range of beers available went right over their heads as they got stuck into a few pints of Stella Artois...

Looks to be a photo you took around about round four or five.

Sam Possenniskie said...

are you questioning my photographic artistry?

Stu as "Stu" said...

man - there's my business plan, in a blogpost...

blogpost?
blogspot?

hmmmm.... interesting.

The beauty of the English language, almost as intoxicating as the beauty of Belgian beer.