Monday, May 12, 2008

WATCHing Stereophonics

What a day Monday was. It was already fortuitous, when a few weeks ago Steve McKinlay mentioned that he was coming up for the Stereophonics concert and was I interested in the other ticket he had. Offering pick up and drop off service from the airport and a bed for the night probably help to seal the deal as well. I remember missing out on seeing the Stereophonics in London and being quite gutted, so was pretty stoked that I was now going to see them in Auckland.

And the concert was awesome, probably the best I have been to. The concert was at the Powerstation, which is just a small venue that only holds about a 1000 people. It is also, by chance, directly across the road from Galbraiths, which was perfect for some fine ales both before and after.

The place was packed, it seemed most of the Welsh population in NZ had come in for the two concerts (there had been another the previous night, which ironically Anna had gone to after her Aunt also had come up for the it with a spare ticket). When Kelly Jones made some jokes in his deep Welsh accent, at least he got laughter from those wearing red int he crowd. With the venue being so small, you couldn't help but be very close to the stage, which itself is set low. So it was an amazing view of a very tight performance, and after the encore of "Maybe Tomorrow" and "Dakota" we left the concert back across to Galbraiths with ears a ringing.

Now you might be wondering what the "WATCH" reference was all about. Well it refers to a phone call earlier that capped of a great day. A few months ago I had purchased a 12-month subscription to Metro magazine and a nice girl from Metro gave me a call to let me know my name had been drawn in the competition - I hadn't even know there was a competition. she then told me that I had won a Bretling watch worth, what for it, $8,950!!!

After she rambled on a bit more I had to ask if she had really said "eight thousand". How can a watch be worth $8,950? What does it do? I was a bit stunned, and still am to be honest. I'm due to pick it up this Friday. Still not sure what I will do with it. I think I would be too scared to wear it, I'd have to wrap my arm in cotton wool. So there is the option of selling it, I can think of some better uses for that sort of money than having something hang from my wrist. But we will see once I pick it up.

3 comments:

Richard Green said...

I will give you a fiver for it...

Crazy Joe Davola said...

Good call Dayg's - and I'm not going to up that!

Jammy bastard - that and the pick six win from a few years back!

Sam Possenniskie said...

i'll get back to you guys on those bids - i wouldn't hold your breath though....