Sunday, January 06, 2008

8 weeks and counting....

The countdown to the Ironman has really started, being less than 8 weeks away now. Spending the previous two weeks down in Wellington probably wasn't great in terms of preparation - far far too much drinking and eating (and hangovers) - though I did get the chance to concentrate on my running and am now up to comfortably managing two-and-a-half hour runs (as well as 100km+ rides and 3km+ swims).

To remind you of the challenge/stupity that is ahead of me for the 1st of March....
> Swim 3.8km
> Bike 180km
> Run 42km (marathon)

But now the training plan starts for real.

I like to go for a 'minimalist' training plan, so the weekly target is for a short and a long training session in each of the 3 disciplines, with an additional session combining all three. I will also be competing in a couple of events - a Standard Triathlon at Mission Bay on Jan 20, and a 3.5km Ocean Swim Feb 10.

I will post an update here each week to let you know how I am going.

P.S. For those of you who might be interested in coming up to watch a man ruin himself over the course of 12 hours+, there is room at our accommodation. At the moment, there are beds for two more people and I think there will be room for some blow-up mattresses in the lounge as well. So if you do think you could be interested, let me know (especially if you want the bed!). Obviously I wont be much fun before the event, and the start is pretty early on the Saturday anyway (7am), but I will be on the course for plenty of time during the day (and evening probably) to appreciate any support and will be looking to celebrate (I hope) on Saturday night - albeit from the comfort of a chair.

3 comments:

Stu as "Stu" said...

I'm in.
I'll be Volcano Man and you can be IronMan.
I'll bring the 'Aloo' Strong Dark Mild and yesterday's brew: IronMan Ordinary Bitter (was thinking of calling it 'Just another New Zealand Ordinary' but decided to Sam the honour instead of Ed). 1.032 and 22ibu... it'll be just over 3% and full of new world hops.

Sam Possenniskie said...

it's a good thing, as this Ironman is making me thirsty....

Stu as "Stu" said...

Just dry hopped both fermenters tonight. One with Sauvin (Savvy Ironman) and one with Czech Saaz (Sassy Ironman).