Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Beer Scene - Argentina

What a turn up this was. I knew heading south was going to be an improvement on what I had seen and drunk before, but I wasn't quite prepared for the selection and variation of what would be on offer in Argentina.

There are the bigger brands that dominate of course - but even there is quite a bit of competition so that there is some choice. But it is the number and quality of the craft breweries that surprised me, as well as their availability. At many a bar, cafe or restaurant they will have a selection of artesanal cervezas, some more than others. I spent a couple of enjoyable nights at the Antares bar in Buenos Aires, their beers of mixed quality, but the bar itself a very cool and seemingly popular place. But the highlight is most definitely even further south in the Lake District. This is clearly the craft brewing capital on Argentinean with more different breweries than even a commited beer rater like myself could get through. There is a definite German influence in the brewing and I even came across a couple of rauchbiers (smoked beers). And I didn't even get down to the town of El Bolson, where I have been told ever man and his dog brew their own beer. It certainly was a lot of fun trying all the different beers Argentina has to offer and visiting the various brew pubs (like Blest and Berlina) - but best of all, there is plenty of scope for returning and trying many more.

No comments: