Sunday, June 11, 2006

Summertime

Well, summer has well and truly arrived here in London. We had thought so a month ago when we had a couple of days around 27/28 degrees, but then the weather went very average on us - cold and wet, probably the worst weather I have had over here. But since last weekend we have had fabulous weather, with consistent temperatures in the high 20s. Of course, I could do without the balmy nights - I don't think I have had more than 3 hours sleep in over a week.

We made the most it on Saturday though, when we went down to a local pub for Todd's birthday (the Red Lion in Barnes) and enjoyed the atmosphere of their garden bar. They had a magnificent spit roast with plenty of crackling and they do all right on the beer front too - with a well-kept Fullers range, the Discovery being the order of the day (a refreshing and light blonde beer, perfect for a hot summer day).









Of course, if you don't know it (and you can't not over here), there is something else kicking off at the moment. The Football World Cup. I think there are other sports and news going on in the world, but I probably won't know about for the next few weeks. The first England game (vs Paraguay) was also on that same Saturday afternoon, and while the others headed off into some dark smoky pub to watch it, I couldn't quite face leaving the sun and decided to follow the game retro-style - by listening to it on the radio in the beer garden. It worked a treat, I didn't miss out on much (the game was fairly average) and I was able to continue to soak up the rays while still catching the action (for the record, England managed a scratchy but all important 1-nil win).

Monday today, and the hottest day yet - I think it was suppose to get to 30 degrees. I took a leisurely lunch out in the sun and seemed to have a fair bit of company with me. They love their sun these Poms. Suited guys get their shirts off, and I've heard girls get out in their thongs (and not of the feet variety). The shots below are from what is called the Winter Gardens (hardly apt for a day like today), which actually sits right on top of the Canary Wharf tube station.










Hopefully I will have a few more stories of great summer days to post. Though, a warning to you all (especially you kids), sun and good beer is not always a good combination....


3 comments:

Stu as "Stu" said...

They're more fun on your nipples, I'm sure Jabba will agree.

Crazy Joe Davola said...

Those gardens on top of the Canary Wharf Station are a great piece of urban design, I remember meeting Criggles there from time to time for lunch - an oasis in the skyscraper canyons.

Anonymous said...

Spaceman - what is the deal with those things growing from your eyelids...could it be all the GE food you're eating in Londres or are you truly a Spaceman?